Know What the Locals Know: Flooding on the Coast
What are government agencies doing?
US Army Corps of Engineers
- Beach Renourishment – Official information for the LBI Storm Damage Reduction Project
- NJ Back Bays Coastal Storm Risk Management Study – Official information for the study
State of New Jersey
- Climate Resilience for NJ – Info about the Climate Change Resilience Strategy/Coastal Resilience Plan and sign-up for email updates
- NJ Protecting Against Climate Threats – Info about regulatory updates to address climate change, stakeholder meetings, and a survey to add your input
Long Beach Township
- Flood Information – A wealth of information including flood awareness, regulations, preparedness, and insurance
How can I better understand my flood risk?
- Rutgers Science and Technical Advisory Panel Report – Sea level rise projections by year and what they mean for flooding on our coast
- NJ Flood Mapper – A tool to visualize a variety of flood scenarios and impacts on your community
- NOAA Tide Predictions – Get tide predictions for your nearest tide gage as well as a variety of other tidal flooding resources
- Stevens Flood Advisory System – Sign up to receive email alerts when flooding is predicted for your nearest tide gage
- Nixle – Sign up to receive text alerts from your local agencies, including flood alerts from the Long Beach Township Police Department
How can I prepare for flooding?
- NJ floodplain regulations – Info from the NJDEP Division of Land Use Regulation to determine what State rules apply to alterations to your property
- Long Beach Township floodplain regulations – Info to determine what local rules apply to alterations to your property
- Jersey-Friendly Yards – Learn how to create a beautiful landscape that minimizes flood impacts and does no harm to the environment
- Protect Your Home – FEMA resources to learn ways to protect your home from flooding
- Protect Yourself – Learn how to make a plan for your household, build a preparedness kit, and stay safe during flood events
- Flood Insurance – The official site of the National Flood Insurance Program providing info about costs, coverage, and providers